Saturday, March 24, 2012

Floating Re-inker

Did you try the baby wipe technique?  I hope you had good success with it.  Today I’m going to show you how to use your ink refills in a technique called Floating Re-inker.  You’ll need a couple of ink refills in similar colors, glossy or shimmer white cardstock, a line-art stamp set (I used Growing Green,) Versamark ink and white embossing powder, a spray bottle with water, a bowl, and an aqua painter. 

IMG_2102 

First you want to stamp your image using the VersaMark pad and then emboss with white embossing powder.  Shimmer white and glossy cardstock work because after you’ve done your embossing, you’ll be getting the paper wet.  Regular cardstock (like the whisper white) will not be able to hold up against that water.  I use a plastic plate and put drops of ink refill colors on it as my palette.  I place the embossed paper into a bowl and spray it with water.

IMG_2104 

Pick up your darkest color with your aquapainter and drag that color around the image.  I start from the outside of the image and draw around in a circle, picking up more color as I need it.  Your image should be wet and if it starts to dry, you’ll need more water.  The color will look much darker when wet than dry, so keep that in mind.  The color will be floating in the water and won’t stay in one place, but will be running. 

IMG_2106

I used Calypso Coral & Peach Parfait as my colors.  I used the darker Coral to the outside (see above) and then I filled in the inside with the Peach.  I purposely made the image darker than what I wanted for my finished project because I knew it would dry lighter.   

IMG_2108

Once you are done, remove the paper from the bowl and set it aside to dry.  You can dry it flat or stand it on it’s side.  If you stand it up, the color will run and the darker color will form to the bottom on the embossed petals.  For my card, since I was using 3 images, I dried them both ways.  The ones I stood upright have sort of a “stripe” look in the end.

IMG_2109

IMG_2110

Once your image is dry, you can cut it out for your final project.  For this card I used Soft Suede cardstock as my base with a coordinating piece of paper from the Beau Chateau collection.  I used Calypso Coral and cut it out with the Doily Die and mounted it onto a circle of Naturals Ivory cardstock.  I decorated the card with some Soft Suede Taffeta Ribbon and some Victoria Crochet trim.  I stamped an image with the Kindness Matters stamp set (Remember, you can get this free with a $50 purchase until March 31st!)  I finished off the look with some pearls. 

IMG_2135

I hope you’ll try floating your ink refills!  It’s lots of fun and you never know exactly how your image will turn out. 

Happy Stampin’!

No comments:

Post a Comment