Thursday, March 22, 2012

Using Ink Refills

These little bottles of color are great for keeping your ink pads moist, but you can also make projects with them.  I have 2 techniques to share with one.  One today and one this weekend.  Today we’re starting with using baby wipes.  Baby wipes are great because you can sort of create your own inkpad with different colors by using the ink refills.  Here’s how to do it:

1.  Gather your supplies.  You’ll need about 4 baby wipes.  Open them up and put them onto a plastic plate. 

IMG_2113

2.  Use a permanent marker and draw around your stamp or clear block.  This will give you an idea of where to place your color and allow you to line the stamp back up for multiple images.  I used Floral Fillers because it has lots of detail and I know I’d never actually color in all those little images.  Solid stamps work too.  You’ll also want to pull out a couple of re-inkers.  I used Pool Party, Lucky Limeade, and Wisteria Wonder.  Start with one color and begin adding drops. 

IMG_2121 

3.  Keep adding color with your ink refills until you have filled in all the white space.  Leaving white space would not allow your stamp to be filled with beautiful color.  When you’re done, it will look messy. 

IMG_2124

4.  Now comes the fun part.  Use this colorful baby wipe as your ink pad.  Ink up your stamp by stamping inside the square.  Then stamp your image onto the paper.  You will be able to stamp multiple images.  If you always line up your stamp in the box, you’ll have a nice image.  It starts out darker and lightens as you use up the ink.  If you want to ink up from a different angle, clean off your stamp first to keep your ink from getting muddy looking. 

IMG_2125

IMG_2126

5.  Punch out the image & make a card!  This technique also makes a really pretty background paper for your projects.  Try it at home! 

IMG_2127 

For my card I used my Color Coach and selected a combination of Wisteria Wonder, Lucky Limeade, and Elegant Eggplant.  I used Wisteria DSP, punched out my stamped image with Fancy Flower Punch.  I added leaves from the Blossom Petals Builder Punch, and the insides of my flowers were punched from the Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer Punch and the 1/2” Circle.  Finally I embellished with the In Color Designer Printed Brads. 

I used a different color scheme (Peach Parfait & Calypso Coral) with the Mixed Bunch stamp set.  I stamped onto glossy cardstock.  Once it was dry, I punched it out with coordinating punch, and added layers of more Calypso Coral and Whisper White Cardstock.  Because of the way the ink ran together, I thought it looked like More Mustard, so I used that color cardstock and button. 

IMG_2132

 

Be sure to check back this weekend to learn how to “float” your ink refills.  Till then-

Happy Stampin’!

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea. Now I just need a couple more inkers to try it. Such pretty cards!

    ReplyDelete