Thursday, May 10, 2012

Foam VS Felt Ink Pads

I got one of the new foam style ink pads and tested it against my old felt style for a comparison.  Here’s my personal opinion. 

I felt that my image was a little darker with the foam and it was easier to get complete ink coverage with it.  My stamping style will need to change with the foam pads, however.  On my felt pads I rub my stamp across the surface and then tap it.  I found that rubbing rather than just tapping gave me more complete coverage.  You cannot rub on a foam pad.  It’s much too sticky.  I tried just tapping, but I wasn’t getting complete coverage, so then I started doing a twist and then tapping.  It worked and I got lots of ink.  The ink did, however, get onto the edges of the stamp, so I’ll need to be more cautious when using it.  I stamped the same image repeatedly using both the felt pad and then the foam.  The images are show below.  The first generation was a little darker with the foam and then the 2nd and 3rd generation images look very similar.  The only real problem I had was with the “rock-n-roll” technique.  I just couldn’t get it to work with the foam pad.  I think it looks MUCH better with the felt. 

ink_test

I think I’m going to stay with my felt ink pads for now.  First of all, I already own them, so that’s less money I need to spend to keep stamping.  I do think however, that I will get some of the new foam style when I know I’m going to be stamping a solid image.  For example, I know I’m using a big solid image on one of my convention swaps, so I’m ordering the new foam pad in that color to make it easier. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Vanessa for your side by side images and your "test results". The thought of replacing all the ink pads is daunting. I, too, will be holding off buying the new ones. I will get the new in colors so I'll get a chance to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to add that I let a friend use this same ink pad today with the foam and she stamped perfectly the first time. She said she loves the way it covers the image and found it easy to use. Her technique was different in that she just lightly tapped the stamp against the ink pad and her results were much better than mine. Maybe I just need practice?

    ReplyDelete