Sunday, September 30, 2012

Happy Moon Festival

Since marrying into a Chinese family, I’ve learned much about Chinese culture and holiday traditions.  Each September we celebrate the Moon Festival.  It’s also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival or Lunar Festival.  It’s a time for families to get together, look at the full moon, and eat moon cakes.  My husband and I eat the moon cakes (actually we started eating them a couple of weeks ago! hehe) then we’ll go out and look at the moon.  I’ve read that some folks tell stories of Chinese mythology regarding the moon, but that’s not something my husband seems to do.  Basically it’s a time for family which reminds me a little of Thanksgiving. 

As far as the moon cakes are concerned, I think they are an acquired taste.  This is the first year I’ve really enjoyed them.  In the past I remember gagging at the preserved egg yolk in the middle.  Well, actually I found an assortment this year that didn’t have the egg and that made me much happier.  lol

mooncakebox

I found an assortment of mini-cakes this year that were made in California.  (Most of the moon cakes are imported from China.)  They came in this pretty box and with a matching gift bag. 

minimooncakes

Moon cakes aren’t very sweet, but they are rich and very heavy.  This assortment contained some with the traditional lotus paste, while others had red bean paste, nuts and pineapple, or dates.  I think I like the minis because of the variety.  Plus, as mentioned before, none of these had an egg yolk inside.  And, from my perspective, that’s a good thing. 

mooncakecloseup 

I love how pretty they are.  I imagine that’s why they are expensive because it’s harder to mass produce.  Oh… and yes, I think they are kind of expensive.  I think this box was $16 and each cake was only about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin.  My husband and I have been cutting each in half and sharing them.  Today we’ll eat the last one (I have no idea what flavor it will be!) and then we’ll wait till next September to have some more. 

Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment