Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lunar New Year

Happy Chinese New Year!  Today marks the beginning of a celebration that will last for 15 days.  2013 is the year of the snake, so I made “snake” themed greeting cards for a couple of close family & friends.  (Honestly I intended to send cards to lots of people, but I waited too long & only had a chance to make a couple.  Maybe you know how that goes?  lol)

Here is the card I created using Stampin’ Up supplies, but my images were stamped using another brand of rubber stamps.  (Dear Stampin’ Up, please make some Asian-themed stamps…)

IMG_3219

I kept my color theme classic with red & gold.  Red is symbolic of happiness & gold is a symbol of power.  These are colors that are always used in celebrating the Lunar New Year. 

We’re celebrating on Monday night by going out to dinner with friends.  I’m looking forward to some yummy Chinese food.  I may have some long noodles to symbolize long life & I know we’ll eat lettuce wraps, not only because they taste so good, but because the Cantonese (my husband’s family speaks Cantonese, not Mandarin) word for lettuce sounds like rising fortune and we can certainly use some good fortune for the new year.   

Gung Hay Fat Choy!
(Peace and Prosperity!)

No comments:

Post a Comment