Thursday, May 8, 2014

Stampin’ Blendabilities

I won’t pretend to be an expert on using alcohol based markers.  I have been trying to improve my technique for years and I’m still working on it.  I’m not naturally artistic, so shading and highlighting do not come easily.  Does this mean the new Blendabilities aren’t for me?  No way!  I will continue to learn by doing. 

IMG_0188

I made this card for a friend’s daughter who is celebrating her 15th birthday.  I’ve had this stamp set for a few years and never really used it because I thought it would be too hard to color.  Today I pulled out my new Coastal Cabana Blendabilites and colored her dress with the medium and dark markers.  I colored her gloves with the light one.  I love how these packs of 3 contain colors meant to blend together.  It’s so much easier than trying to pick similar colors and make them work together.  I also used the Color Lifter.  The color lifter marker is awesome.  When I colored the dress I also colored in the flowers.  Then I decided I wanted them to be another color so I used the color lifter to “erase.”  Technically it doesn’t work the same as an eraser, but it does allow you to push the color you want to remove so that it goes thru the back of the paper.  That is also handy if you accidently color outside the lines and need to “push” the color back inside.  Keep in mind, however, that this isn’t a miracle marker.  It’s for correcting small mistakes and it takes some patience to use.  I “lifted” the color from those little flowers several times letting them dry in between.  

Here are some of my tips for using these markers:

1.  Work on a stack of white scratch paper.  When you color, the color bleeds through.  Having the scratch paper behind the image not only saves your workspace, but it helps the image.  See when I colored the above image, the blues went through to my background paper.  Before I colored my flowers, I made sure to put a fresh piece of paper under my image.  That way my raspberry ripple I used on the flowers would not accidently pick up the coastal cabana from below.  It sounds weird, but it can happen and change the intended color of your image.  I find it’s also helpful to move your image around on your scratch paper while you work to keep from pulling color from underneath.

2.  Work in small sections when blending.  These inks will blend the best when they are still wet.  If you color the entire image and then try to blend another color, it will be frustrating because the original color dried.  I color in sections and blend as I go.  It may seem to take longer, but in the end, it is faster because you’re not having to remoisten the image in order to blend colors.  

3.  Use Memento ink when stamping your image.  This sounds weird because it seems you’d want to use Staz-on.  Don’t do it!  The Staz-on will bleed when you start adding the alcohol markers.  Use the Memento!

The markers will be in the new annual catalog, but unfortunately will not be available to order right away.  I’ll let you know when they are in stock.  

No comments:

Post a Comment