Thursday, September 17, 2015

Delicate Ornaments

Holiday15_p14_b

If you’ve seen the new holiday catalog, then you probably noticed these pretty ornament dies.  They have SO much detail and are so beautiful.  I purchased the Precision Base Plate to use with my Big Shot to cut these out.  But then I had some customers who wanted to buy just the dies.  I was hesitant to sell them without the base plate because the designs are so intricate.  I decided to do a test.  I cut out the same image twice.  The first time I used the Precision Base Plate and the 2nd time I added wax paper and a shim to my regular cutting platform/plates.  I’m happy to say that I was successful with both methods.  Both allowed me to completely cut out the delicate die.

IMG_4001

I don’t regret buying the Precision Base Plate to use with these dies and with others, like my butterflies, but it’s good to know you don’t “have” to buy it in order to get nice cuts. 

And while I don’t sell it, I bought a Die Brush with a Foam pad made by Sizzix to help get all the little pieces out of the cut image.  I thought it might be a worthless gadget, but I thought it helped.  Usually I use a paper piercer to poke out the pieces.  With this, I just rolled the brush over the cut image with a speedy motion and the pieces came right out.  (I don’t think you’d want to do this with delicate papers, but for cardstock it was fine.)  The wax paper made it a little more challenging because the wax pieces wanted to stick onto the foam.  In the end, I think it was a good $6 purchase at my craft store (I used a store coupon!) 

Diebrush

No comments:

Post a Comment