Lunar New Year officially begins today and lasts 15 days, so you have plenty of time to celebrate! This is the year of the Monkey. For many years, I thought I was born in the Year of the Monkey. Then I married my husband, who pointed out that technically I am a Sheep because I was born before the lunar new year began in that year. The same is true for him. Based on the year of his birth, you would think he’s a Pig, but he’s actually a Dog because of his January birthday. Anyway, if your birthday falls under the Year of the Monkey, I hope it’s a wonderful one for you!
We already started celebrating by opening our box of new year sweets. Sugar makes every holiday better, right? lol My favorites are the white sticks in the top of the photo. Those are winter melon. So yummy! I don’t know everything about this holiday, but I do embrace parts of it, like eating these sweets. I also make sure that I do not sweep the house on the first day of the new year because it’s symbolic of sweeping away wealth (and because I don’t like to clean the house. hehe!)
If you don’t know your Chinese zodiac, here’s something to help. Just remember, if you have a January or early February birthday, you might have to go with the prior year’s sign, depending on the date the lunar new year began the year you were born.
And once you know your sign, here’s some info for you:
What does your Chinese zodiac sign mean?
In Chinese astrology, the 12 animal zodiac signs each have unique characteristics.
- Rat: Intelligent, adaptable, quick-witted, charming, artistic, sociable.
- Ox: Loyal, reliable, thorough, strong, reasonable, steady, determined.
- Tiger: Enthusiastic, courageous, ambitious, leadership, confidence, charismatic.
- Rabbit: Trustworthy, empathic, modest, diplomatic, sincere, sociable, caretakers.
- Dragon: Lucky, flexible, eccentric, imaginative, artistic, spiritual, charismatic.
- Snake: Philosophical, organized, intelligent, intuitive, elegant, attentive, decisive.
- Horse: Adaptable, loyal, courageous, ambitious, intelligent, adventurous, strong.
- Sheep: Tasteful, crafty, warm, elegant, charming, intuitive, sensitive, calm.
- Monkey: Quick-witted, charming, lucky, adaptable, bright, versatile, lively, smart.
- Rooster: Honest, energetic, intelligent, flamboyant, flexible, diverse, confident.
- Dog: Loyal, sociable, courageous, diligent, steady, lively, adaptable, smart.
- Pig: Honorable, philanthropic, determined, optimistic, sincere, sociable.